North Carolina and NoDa Brewing Win Big in World Beer Cup
Itâ€™s no secret that Charlotteâ€™s NoDa Brewing Co. serves up some of the best local brews around. However, the local buzz quickly turned into world headlines after their Hop, Drop Nâ€™ Roll clinched the gold medal for American-Style India Pale Ale at this yearâ€™s World Beer CupÂ last week.
The World Beer Cup is a biennial event held in Denver and features competition in 94 different categories from breweries around the world. While most categories have less than 100 entries, NoDa Brewing beat out 224 other breweries for the title, a new World Beer Cup record.
Of nearly 5,000 different style beers entered, about 70% were from the U.S, which drew in 205 titles total. NoDa also became the first Charlotte brewery to medal, not to mention, be awarded a top prize.
Other North Carolina winners include:
- Gold award in German-Style Heller Bock: Meyerbock, Outer Banks Brewing Station, Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
- Bronze award in Imperial Red Ale: Tyrant Double Red, Wicked Weed Brewing, Asheville, N.C.
- Gold award in Brown Porter: Ninja, Asheville Brewing Co., Asheville, N.C.
- Bronze award in German-Style Kosch: Endless River, Mother Earth Brewing in Kinston, N.C.
- Silver award in Old Ale or Strong Ale: Irish Walker, Olde Hickory Brewery, Hickory, N.C.
- Silver award in American-Style Black Ale: Once You Go, Lynwood Brewing, Raleigh, N.C.
- Gold award in German-Style KĂ¶lsch: White Street Kolsch-Style, White Street Brewing Co., Wake Forest, N.C.
Just as their website says, â€śthis is the beer that started it all for NoDa Brewing,â€ť and I can think of no better validation for owners Todd and Suzie Ford and head brewer Chad Henderson.
See the full list of winners here to start compiling your bucket list of brews to try this year. Personally? Iâ€™d like to fetch myself a glass of the Decadent Dark Chocolate, Atwater Brewery, Detroit, MI.
Have you ever tried NoDa’s Hop, Drop N’ Roll or other brews? What is your favorite? Let us know in the comments below!